CSC 471/371 Mobile Application Development for iOS
Programming Assignment 8 – A Table View App
• Submit your assignment in D2L Dropbox.
• Submit a single zip file that contains the contents of the project folder
o To zip your project folder: Ctrl-click your project folder and select “Compress
…” from the context menu.
• It is mandatory to use Xcode 10 and Swift 4 for this assignment.
• Include only your source code files, including
o *.swift, *.plist, *.xib, *.storyboard
o image files
o project files (.xcodeproj)
o test folders
• You must use a unique prefix for the project name. (I suggest you use your last name
and first initial as your prefix.) Please use the same prefix for all your assignments.
o Note you only need to use the prefix for the project name. It is not necessary
to use the prefix on other files in your project.
• Do not include unused or unrelated files.
• Before you submit, build and run the project, make sure everything compiles and
works. Close your project before zipping the folder.
• Here are the most common reasons assignments are marked down:
o Project does not build.
o Project does not build without warnings.
o One or more items in the Requirements section were not satisfied.
o A fundamental concept was not understood.
o Code is sloppy and hard to read (e.g. indentation is not consistent, etc.).
o Your solution is difficult (or impossible) for someone reading the code to
understand due to lack of comments, poor variable/method names, poor
solution structure, etc.
• Bonus points.
o Bonus points may be awarded to projects with exceptional qualities in one or
o Bonus points will only be awarded after all the required elements have been
o Bonus points will not be awarded merely for extra amount of work (or code).
o Extra and sloppy code may cause your assignments to be marked down.
o Bonus points are awarded at the sole discretion of the instructor.
o Include a note in the comment in D2L describing the part(s) should be
considered for bonus points.
• Building a list app with a master list and at least one level of detail view.
• Using dynamic Table view and Navigation View
• Exploring iOS documentation of various classes used in this assignment
1. Create a master-detail app that presents information of your interest in the form of a
list. The subject of the list is your choice. There are many possibilities, e.g., top
restaurants in Chicago (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g35805-
Chicago_Illinois.html), information about the countries in the Europe Union
(http://europa.eu/index_en.htm), etc. The master list should contain at least a dozen
or more items.
2. The app starts with a master list, which is a Table view. When an item in the master list
is touched, a detail view of the selected item will be presented. One level of details is
required, but you may have more.
3. You should design your app to present the information in a clear and effective manner.
a. Use a dynamic Table view for the master list.
b. Present a well-designed detail view.
c. Use images in either the master list or the detail view.
4. Be creative.
5. Make sure your program
a. builds without errors or warnings, and
b. runs without crashing.