Ve311 Lab #1
(1) Please use A4 size papers.
(2) The lab report should be submitted online individually.
(3) Use Proteus 8.10 for simulation before the lab session. In the Proteus
library, you should be able to find all the components used in the schematics.
The lab report must include both the simulation and measurement
1. [Voltage Regulator] Build the voltage regulator below in Proteus and on
(a) [10%] For Vs = 5 V, R = 10 kΩ and RL = ∞, use a voltage meter to
obtain the value of VL . Discussion: Whether the obtained VL is
reasonable, in comparison to the VZ in the 1N4728A datasheet?
(b) [20%] For Vs = 5 + 0.5sin(2π60 ∙ time) , R = 10 kΩ and RL = ∞,
display both Vs and VL on oscilloscope. Estimate the line regulation
by comparing the amplitudes of Vs and VL. By using the equation:
line regulation = RZ
(R + RZ ⁄ ), estimate the value of RZ. Discussion:
If Vs = 2 + 3sin(2π60 ∙ time), how will VL change?
(c) [20%] For Vs = 5 V and R = 10 kΩ, by gradually decreasing RL, find
out the minimum R (RL,min), below which the voltage regulator stops
working. Discussion: How to modify the voltage regulator so that
RL,min becomes 2 times smaller?
2. [Half-Wave Rectifier] Build the half-wave rectifier circuit below in
Proteus and on the breadboard.
(a) [50%] For Vs = 5sin(2π60 ∙ time) and R = 1 kΩ, find out the value
of C so that the ripple voltage (Vr
) is smaller than 0.1 V. Display Vout
on oscilloscope to confirm Vr
is indeed smaller than 0.1 V, and
estimate Vdc, Idc, θc
, ∆T, Ipeak, Isurge and PIV based on the waveforms.
Make sure the half-wave rectifier is reliable, that is Ipeak, Isurge and PIV
lower than the maximum ratings from the 1N4007 datasheet.
Discussion: How will Vr change, if Vs = 5sin(2π120 ∙ time)?
© Semiconductor Components Industries, LLC, 2012
June, 2018 − Rev. 14
1 Publication Order Number:
1N4001, 1N4002, 1N4003,
1N4004, 1N4005, 1N4006,
This data sheet provides information on subminiature size, axial
lead mounted rectifiers for general−purpose low−power applications.
• Shipped in Plastic Bags, 1000 per bag
• Available Tape and Reeled, 5000 per reel, by adding a “RL” suffix to
the part number
• Available in Fan−Fold Packaging, 3000 per box, by adding a “FF”
suffix to the part number
• Pb−Free Packages are Available
• Case: Epoxy, Molded
• Weight: 0.4 gram (approximately)
• Finish: All External Surfaces Corrosion Resistant and Terminal
Leads are Readily Solderable
• Lead and Mounting Surface Temperature for Soldering Purposes:
260°C Max. for 10 Seconds, 1/16 in. from case
• Polarity: Cathode Indicated by Polarity Band
*For additional information on our Pb−Free strategy and soldering details, please
download the ON Semiconductor Soldering and Mounting Techniques
Reference Manual, SOLDERRM/D.
LEAD MOUNTED RECTIFIERS
See detailed ordering and shipping information on page 5 of
this data sheet.
A = Assembly Location
1N400x = Device Number
x = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7
YY = Year
WW = Work Week
= Pb−Free Package
(Note: Microdot may be in either location)